How are you feeling with the season changing? Is it time to do a self-check-in?
Could your systems do with a good detoxing cleanse?
Are you feeling flat or unmotivated?
Do you need a lasting energy boost?
If this sounds like you, now is a great time to get into Green Juicing!
It’s a brilliant way to boost your energy, detoxify and pack in plenty of nutrients.
Why go green?
Chlorophyll, found in all things green, is the major player in the photosynthetic process. This process allows plants to obtain energy from light by converting sunshine into energy.
Chlorophyll rich foods are deep-green and are extraordinarily useful in building new blood cells and purifying the body.
In addition to cleansing the body, Green juices contain high doses of vitamins, minerals, and live enzymes in their most bioavailable form. They are a great way to condense several servings of green vegetables, fruits, and other superfoods into one nutrient-packed drink. Without having to use any energy in the digestive process, juicing your greens allows for your body’s effort to be used for healing and cleansing.
Top 5 Benefits of Green Juicing
- Boosts Energy -. Green juices are packed with high doses of key micronutrients. These micronutrients are critical for intracellular energy production. Green juicing helps your body absorb nutrients from leafy greens and other green vegetables fast! With green juicing, the fibres are removed from the vegetables and fruits, making these foods easier to digest. The nutrients are immediately absorbed into the bloodstream enabling you to feel the rewards right away.
- Heals the Gut and Improves Digestion – With juices being easier to digest, our bodies can conserve the energy used in digesting, processing and assimilating solid foods. The body can use this energy for healing and detoxification. With green juicing, you are getting an abundance of phytonutrients to help combat gut inflammation. Green juices also contain digestive enzymes and prebiotics, assisting overall digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Strengthens Your Immune System– Your immune system is the body’s first line of defence against toxins and pathogens. The concentrated vitamins, minerals and enzymes in green juices give your immune system an amazing boost. Additionally, around 80% of your immune system is in your gut. By improving your digestive health, green juice fasting can strengthen your immune system.
- Oxygenates Your Body and removes toxins– Oxygen-rich blood cells are healthy blood cells. When cells are deprived of oxygen, they become susceptible to cancer and other diseases. You can oxygenate your body with the kinds of foods found in your green juice. Chlorophyll, found in your green juice, allows blood to transport oxygen to cells and protects against free radicals, which help with intestinal regularity and detoxification of the body. And, while it is impossible to avoid toxins, green juice fasting is a great way to eliminate toxins from the body. Green juicing helps remove these toxins by cleansing the blood, liver, digestive tract, and kidneys.
- Improves Focus and Mental Clarity – Exposure to toxins is harmful to the brain. When the brain absorbs toxins such as solvents, chemicals, and heavy metals, its function is impaired, causing symptoms like memory loss, inability to focus, depression, fatigue, seizures and more.
Because Juicing your greens is so beneficial to your gut and helps to speed up the process to eliminate toxins, this method of detoxifying also helps with secondary concerns like skin conditions and anti-ageing.
So, if that has you inspired, get green-juicing now!
To Build your own Green juice is fun and easy, make sure you include at least of few from all of these categories to ensure a full-rounded, nutritious Green Juice.
Hydrating Vegetables – Rich in water and electrolytes, hydrating vegetables should be the foundation of your green juice.
some examples are:
(not green, but)
Dark Green Leafy Vegetables – You should always include rich dark greens in your green juice. These greens are nutritional superstars and rich in chlorophyll.
some examples are;
Herbs – Bitter herbs help produce digestive enzymes and improve liver and gallbladder function. They also help cleanse the blood, digestive system, kidneys and urinary tract.
-Ginger and turmeric are also great to include. Ginger helps to reduce intestinal gas. Soothe the intestinal tract. Induce gut motility and aid in the production of bile.
-Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory that also helps to detoxify the liver and boost glutathione levels.
some other herbs are:
Low-Glycemic Fruits – These tasty additions have a lower blood sugar impact. They also have a strong alkalizing effect on the body.
-Green apples contain acetic acid which is a natural antiseptic that reduces unwanted microbes in the body.
others in this category include;
-lemons and limes.
Other Green Juice Boosters;
Adaptogens – Ashwagahnda, Matcha and other adaptogens can really boost your juice and support your stress levels during your detox.
Blue-Green Algae – Spirulina and chlorella are blue-green algae that are a great addition to any juice. They are full of chlorophyll and amino acids. Spirulina and chlorella have strong anti-microbial effects and act as powerful blood detoxifiers.
Grain Grasses – This would include wheatgrass, barley grass, oat grass and ryegrass. These are the grass portions and not the grains. Therefore, they are free of gluten and are very low-carb and nutrient-dense.
My Top Tips for Green Juicing;
- It is best to drink the juice immediately because juices have the most nutritional value when fresh. When juice sits, the nutrients oxidize and can be lost.
- Always use organic ingredients. Otherwise, you’ll be exposed to concentrated amounts of pesticides, herbicides, and other toxins found on non-organic produce.
- Be sure to find the freshest fruits and vegetables available. A local farmers market is a great source.
- Don’t take shortcuts! Avoid store-bought green juices that are high in sugar.
- Drink your green juice from glass, not plastic. Plastics have toxic xenoestrogens that can damage your body. These chemicals can destroy your juice.
- If you are fasting and juicing and feel weak as your body cleanses and heals. Set aside extra rest time.
- Do not add more than 1 small apple or more than 4-5 carrots at a time to keep sugar to a minimum. Anytime you are juicing higher sugar items. Always be sure to add in a whole lemon or lime. The citric acid will lower the glycemic impact and reduce the inflammatory component of the sugar.
- Enjoy using the juice pulp as a salad mix roast veggies or some meat too. I love the mix of greens and lime and it tastes the best with avocado or guacamole.
The best part about Green juicing is that you can customize every blend to your taste and nutritional needs. So have fun building your Green Juice, keep it fresh and seasonal and most important, enjoy!